Martindale, a civil and an ecclesiastical parish in Westmorland, on the E side of Ulleswater, 8½ miles SW by S of Clifton, and 10 SSW of Penrith station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Penrith. Acreage, 8024, of which 540 are water; population, 141. Part of the land is common, and much is moor and mountain. The main portion is a fine valley, Martindale proper, traversed by a streamlet 4½ miles northward from Kidsty Pike to Ulleswater, at the W base of Hallin Fell; and this has a bare appearance, but contains a few scattered houses shaded by sycamores. Bed deer are still to be found in Martindale Forest, and are occasionally shot by the lord of the manor. A summit-point on its W flank, reached by a green footpath, commands a fine view over the lower reaches of Ulleswater, past Penrith, away to the Cross Fell Mountains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £94 with residence. The old church is a low-roofed ancient edifice, with a bell-gable, was restored in 1833, and is now used for a cemetery. A new church was built in 1871; it is a fine building, and the woodwork is beautifully carved.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Martindale from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.