Mardale, a hamlet, a mountain-vale, and a chapelry in Westmorland. The hamlet bears the name of Mardale Green, lies in the vale, 1 mile S of the head of Hawes Water and 6½ miles SW by W of Shap railway station, and has a small inn. The vale descends 2½ miles north-north-eastward to the head of Hawes Water, takes thither a streamlet of its own name, and is overhung at the head by Harter Fell, on the E by Branstreet, on the N and W by High Raise Whelter, High Street, and Kidsty Pike. The chapelry is partly in Shap parish and partly in Bampton parish, but has not well-defined limits. Post town, Penrith; money order office, Bampton; telegraph office, Shap. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £136 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Shap. The church stands in the hamlet among yews and sycamores, and is a small building with a low square tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mardale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mardale)
The village of Mardale Green was flooded in the 1930's to make way for the Hayswater Reservoir, serving the poluation of Manchester.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.