Mallerstang, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Kirkby Stephen parish, Westmorland, on the river Eden, under Wild Boar Fell, 3 miles SSE of Kirkby Stephen railway station. The township comprises the hamlets of Castlethwaite, Southwaite, Hanging Lund, Shoregill, and Outhgill. The latter has a post office under Kirkby Stephen; money order and telegraph office, Kirkby Stephen. Acreage, 8347 of land and 33 of water; population, 232. Much of the surface is upland. Wild Boar Fell rises on the southern extremity, and commands a very fine view. A bridge, built in 1661 by the Countess of Pembroke, crosses the Eden. Pendragon Castle, situated on the Eden, sprang from a fort-alice of Uther Pendragon in the time ofVortigern; was burnt by the Scots in 1541; underwent complete repair in 1661; was taken and dismantled by the Earl of Thanet in 1681; and is now represented by a mined square tower, with walls 12 feet thick. Castlewaite, opposite Pendragon Castle, has a small ancient entrenchment, with ditch and vallnm. The river Eden rises here, ana"'the sources of the rivers Swale and Ure are near here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £128 with residence. Patron, Lord Hothfield, who is lord of the manor. The church is at Onth-gill, was rebuilt in 1663 by the Countess of Pembroke, and partly restored in 1879 by Lord Hothfield. There is also a Wesleyan chapel at Outhgill, erected in 1878.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirkby Stephen|
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mallerstang from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mallerstang)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.