Long Sleddale, or Longsleddale, Westmorland
Sleddale, Long, or Longsleddale, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Kendal parish, Westmorland, 3½ miles NE by N of Staveley railway station, and 7 N by W of Kendal. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Kendal. Acreage, 6735, of which 35 are water; population, 135. The surface is a mountain vale 6½ miles long and about half a mile wide, extending south-south-eastward from Gatescarth Pass, traversed by the upper reaches of the river Sprint, flanked by lofty mountains green and rocky, and containing pretty cascades and some fine scenery. There is a quarry of blue slate in the vale. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £170 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church was rebuilt in 1863, and is in the Gothic style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Long Sleddale, or Longsleddale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sleddale, Long)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.