Long Marton, Westmorland
Marton, Long, a village and a parish in Westmorland. The village lies on the Trout Beck, an affluent of the river Eden, 3½ miles NW by N of Appleby, and has a station on the M.R., and a post and money order office under Appleby; telegraph office, at the railway station. The parish includes also Brampton and Knock. Acreage, 6947; population, 620. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £707 with residence. Patron, Lord Hothfield. The church dates from the beginning of the 12th century, and possesses curious evidences of its antiquity in the carved stones which fill the pediments both of the S door and also of the W door-once an outer door, but now within the tower. It was admirably restored in 1880, and while every ancient mark of interest was carefully preserved a great deal of beautiful oak carving was introduced. There are several memorial windows. A parish institute, with reading, recreation, and assembly rooms, was erected in the village in 1893. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Long Marton St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Long Marton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Marton, Long (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.