Langdale (Grasmere), Westmorland
Langdale, a hamlet, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Grasmere parish, Westmorland. The hamlet stands in Great Langdale Vale, 4 miles W by N of Ambleside, 6 from Coniston Lake station on the Furness railway, and 8 NW of Windermere. The ecclesiastical parish contains also the hamlet of Eiter Water, which has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Ambleside, and it comprises the vales of Great Langdale and Little Langdale. Acreage of township, 9511, of which 147 are water; population, 754; of ecclesiastical parish, 770. The Earl of Lonsdale and Lord Muncaster are lords of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value,, £200 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Grasmere. The church stands at Langdale hamlet, is in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, uave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. A previous church was in Little Langdale at a place now called Chapel Mire. There are a gunpowder mill and a green slate quarry at Eiter Water, and in 1883 the linen industry was revived in furtherance of the principles enunciated by Ruskin. The Langdale Institute, with reading-room, library, and well-appointed billiard-room, was founded in 1891. There are also a meeting-room for Plymouth Brethren, an endowed school, and a county police station.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langdale (Grasmere) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Langdale, Great and Little)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.