Hutton Roof, Westmorland
Hutton Roof, a township and a vicarage in Kirby Lonsdale parish, Westmorland, adjacent to Lancashire, 3 miles E of Burton, and 4 from Burton and Holme station on the N.W.R. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Kirby Lonsdale. The township includes the hamlet of Newbiggin. Acreage, 2715; population, 366. Hutton Roof Park belonged to the Cams family, passed to the Belling-hams, the Prestons, and Colonel Charteris, and belongs now to the Lowther family. Hutton Crags is a prominent feature. There are several stone quarries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £169 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Kirby Lonsdale. The church was erected in 1881 on the site of the former one, in the Early English style, and contains a beautiful oak screen and several memorial windows. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirkby Lonsdale|
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hutton Roof from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hutton-Roof)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.