UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hugill, Westmorland

Historical Description

Hugill, a township and a chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmorland. The township lies 1 mile from Kendal station on the L. & N.W.R., 2 miles E of Windermere, and contains the hamlets of Ings, Grass Garth, and Berwick Fold. Post town, money order and telegraph office, Staveley, Kendal. Acreage, 2901; population, 559. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of the manor. Hugill Hall was the seat of P. Collinson, the naturalist and antiquary. Eeston Scar is a prominent feature in the valley. A site of a British village, inclosed by a stone wall, and with a number of hut circles, has been found on Hugill Fell. The chapelry is sometimes called Hugill or Ings. Population, 272. The living is a vicarage in the

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWestmorland 
Civil parishKendal 
Poor Law unionKendal 
WardKendal 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Hugill from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.