Holme, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish formed from Burton-in-Kendal parish, Westmorland, on the Lancashire Canal, and on the L. & S.W.R., 1¼ mile N of Burton. Holme has a station, jointly with Barton, on the railway, and a post and money order office under Carnforth; telegraph office, Burton. Acreage, 1648; population, 820. There is a cocoa-nut matting and carpet manufactory, giving employment to about 200 hands. Curwen Woods is the principal residence in the parish. Holme Fell is part of the surface, and Farleton Knot is adjacent. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £145 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Burton. The church has a tower, and has recently been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Burton in Kendal|
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holme from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.