Grayrigg, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Rendal parish, Westmorland. The township lies near the source of the river Mint, 5 miles NE of Rendal, and has a station on the L. & N.W.R., and a post office under Rendal; money order and telegraph office, Rendal. Acreage, 3753; population, 222. The ecclesiastical parish comprises the townships of Dillicar, Docker, Lambrigg, and WhinfelL Population, 746. The manor belonged to the Windsores and the Dncketts, and passed to the Lowthers. The land is partly mountainous, and is overhung by Whin Fell Beacon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Rendal. The church is in the Gothic style, and was rebuilt in 1869. There are also some almshouses built and endowed in 1868, several other charities, and a Friends' meeting-house.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Grayrigg from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Grayrigg)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.