Great Musgrave, Westmorland
Musgrave, Great, a village and a parish in Westmorland. The village stands on the river Eden, with a station on the N.E.R., 3½ miles N by W of Kirkby Stephen, and gives name to the Musgraves of Edenhall. It has a post office under Penrith; money order and telegraph office, Warcop. The parish comprises 3185 acres; population, 175. The manor belongs to the Musgrave family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £188 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is modern, and has a tower. There is an endowed free school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Musgrave St. Theobald|
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Musgrave from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Musgrave, Great (St. Theobald))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.