Dufton, a township and a parish in Westmorland. The township lies on an affluent of the river Eden, near Watling Street, and near the Eden Valley railway, 3 miles NNE of Appleby town and railway station, includes the hamlet of Birkdale, and has a post office under Appleby; money order office, Long Marton; telegraph office, Long Marton railway station. Acreage, 16,848; population, 368. The parish contains also the village of Keisley. The manor belonged formerly to the Milwards and others, and belongs now to the Hothfield family. Much of the land is moor and mountain, soaring into lofty peaks, and bearing the name of Dufton Fells. The living is a discharged rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £206 with residence. The church is good, and there are Weselyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. There is a British school, founded in 1670 by Christopher Walker, and rebuilt by subscription in 1824. Barytes is obtained in the neighbourhood, and a company nas been formed to carry on the industry, which is likely to prove important.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dufton St. Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dufton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dufton (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.