Crosby Garrett, Westmorland
Crosby Garrett, a village, a township, and a parish in Westmorland. The township lies on the river Eden, under Crosby Fell, with a station on the M.R., 3 miles W by N of Kirkby Stephen, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Kirkby Stephen. Acreage, 3900; population of civil parish, 211; of the ecclesiastical, 263. The parish includes also the township of Little Musgrave. The living is a rectory, with Little Musgrave annexed, in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £168 with residence. The church is old but good; there is a Baptist chapel and an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Crosby-Garret St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Crosby Garrett from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Crosby-Garret (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.