Clifton, a village and a parish in Westmorland. The village stands adjacent to the Lancaster and Carlisle railway,. near the river Lowther, 2 miles SSE of Penrith, and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Penrith. The parish comprises 1782 acres; population, 337. Lowther Castle, a seat of the Earl of Lonsdale, stands near the village. An old turreted mansion, now a ruin, adjoining a farmhouse, was the seat of the family of Wyberg. Clifton moor, about a mile south of the village, was the scene of a sharp skirmish in 1745 between Prince Charles Stuart and the Duke of Cumberland, and is described in " Waverley." The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value y £203 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is Early English, has some stained glass, and is good, The chancel was restored by Henry Brougham, Lord Chancellor of England.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clifton St. Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clifton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Clifton (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.