Cliburn, a village and a parish in Westmorland, on the river Lyvennet, and on the Eden Valley railway, 7 miles-NW of Appleby. There is a station on the railway, and a post office under Penrith; money order office, Morland. Area of parish, 1890; population, 258. The manor belonged to the Talebois, the Harveys, and the Cliburns. The living is a discharged rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £274 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is old but good, and there is a small endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cliburn St. Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cliburn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cliburn (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.