Casterton, a township and ecclesiastical parish in Kirkby-Lonsdale parish, Westmoreland, on the river Lune, adjacent to the Ingleton branch of the N.W.R., 1½ mile NE of Kirkby-Lonsdale, under which there is a post and money order office. Acreage, 4324; population, 442. Casterton Hall, now the property of the Earl of Bective, was formerly the seat of the Carus-Wilsons. The scenery is so fine as to have been called " the pride of Lonsdale." Coal and limestone are found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, about £260 with residence. The church was built in 1833, and has a tower. It was restored in 1891. The school established by the Rev. W. Carus-Wilson for the daughters of clergymen, is widely known. Charlotte Bronte was one of the pupils.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirkby Lonsdale|
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Casterton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Casterton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.