Burton in Kendal, Westmorland
Burton-in-Kendal, a small town, a township, and a parish in Westmoreland. The town is adjacent to the Kendal Canal, 1½ mile E of Burton and holme railway station, near Farlton-Knot, 10 miles NNE of Lancaster. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office called Burton (Westmoreland). The town is small, clean, and well built, and pleasantly situated on rising-ground, and contains a marketplace with a handsome stone cross. The market, established in 1661, was at one time the chief corn market in the county; it began to decline in 1819, and has for many years been discontinued. A fair is held here on Easter Monday for the sale of cattle and sheep; with it is combined a show of entire horses. The parish formerly consisted of a long, narrow, and irregular tract of country in South Westmoreland. It was divided into the five townships of Burton, Dalton, holme, holme Scales, and Preston Patrick. The present ecclesiastical parish of Burton, where the old mother church is situated, consists of the townships of Burton and Dalton, the latter in Lancashire. Acreage of township, 1473; population, 693; of ecclesiastical parish, 861. In 1775 the inhabitants spent a large sum in draining the mosses and bringing them under cultivation. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. The church, dedicated to St James, is an ancient edifice. The tower, of Norman structure, is square, and contains a fine peal of six bells. The body of the church, of Gothic structure, consists of nave, chancel, side aisle, and two mortuary chapels founded by the owners of Dalton and Preston Hall. The Dalton chapel was founded in 1628, the Preston chapel in 1634. There are two ancient stones in the church, supposed to be memorials of some members of the Croft family who resided at Dalton in the 13th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Burton-in-Kendal St. James|
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burton in Kendal from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Burton-in-Kendal (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.