UK Genealogy Archives logo

Brougham, Westmorland

Historical Description

Brougham, a parish in Westmoreland. The castle stands on the river Lowther, adjacent to its confluence with the Eamont, near the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 1½ mile SE of Penrith. Near the castle is tlia site of the Roman station Brovoniacum, and the Saxon town of Burgham, a place of note now extinct. Post town, Penrith. Acreage, 6226; population, 295. Brougham Castle dates from the Saxon times, was granted by William the Conqueror to his nephew, Hugh de Albinois, passed to the Cliffords, suffered desolation in the wars with the Scots, was rebuilt by the Countess Anne in 1652, and passed to the Tuftons. It comprised three square towers with connecting walls enclosing a large court, and extensive ruins of it, grand and striking, still exist. James I. was entertained here during three days on occasion of his last return to England; and the poet Wordsworth makes it the scene of the great festival at the restoration of the "good Lord Clifford :"" From town to town, from tower to tower, The red rose is a gladsome flower; Behold her, how she smiles to-day On this great throng, this bright array! Knight, squire, and Roman, page and groom, We have them at the feast of Brough'm."

Faint traces of Roman works are seen in the vicinity, and several Roman altars, urns, and coins have been found. A neat, lofty, stone obelisk, called the Countess' Pillar, stands a short distance to the south, erected by the Countess Anne Clifford in 1636 to commemorate her parting from her mother, and sung by Wordsworth, Rogers, Mrs Hemans, and other poets. Faint traces of Roman works are seen in the vicinity, and several Roman altars, urns, and coins have been found. A neat, lofty, stone obelisk, called the Countess' Pillar, stands a short distance to the south, erected by the Countess Anno Clifford in 1636 to commemorate her parting from her mother, and sung by Wordsworth, Rogers, Mrs Hemans, and other poets.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWestmorland 
Ecclesiastical parishBrougham St. Ninian 
Poor Law unionWest ward 
WardWest 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Brougham from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.