Bolton, a township and a chapelry in Morland parish, Westmoreland, on the river Eden, and on the Eden Valley railway, near Kirkby-Thore railway station, and 4 miles NNW of Appleby. The chapelry includes Bewley-Castle, at one time a residence of the Bishops of Carlisle, and has a post office under Penrith; money order and telegraph office, Kirkby-Thore. Acreage of township, 2791; population, 345. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £228 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Morland. The church is good and very ancient, being Late Norman, and there is a Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bolton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bolton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.