Barbon, a township in Kirkby-Lonsdale parish, Westmoreland, on the river Lune and the Ingleton branch of the L. & N.W.R., under Barton Fell, 3 miles NNE of Kirkby-Lonsdale. It has a station on the railway, and includes the hamlet of Beckfoot. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 4261; population, 313. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £220. Patron, the Vicar of Kirkby-Lonsdale.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirkby Lonsdale|
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barbon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barbon)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.