Bampton, a village and a parish in Westmoreland. The village stands on the river Lowther, 2 miles NNE of Hawes Water, 5 NW of Shap railway station, and 9 S of Penrith, and it has a post office under Penrith. The parish extends upward to Hawes Water, and includes part of Mardale chap-eiry. Acreage, 10,925; population, 475. A spot not far from the village was the scene of a skirmish in the rebellion of 1745. The living is a discharged vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £170 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is good. A grammar school, founded in 1627, has a small endowment, and there are other charities. There is also a Wesleyan chapel here. Dr Mill, the biblical critic, Bishop Gibson, the editor of " Cam-den," and Judge Wilson, were educated at the grammar school; and Bishop Law, the friend of Paley, and Dr Gib-son, the author of a system of anatomy, were natives.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bampton St. Patrick|
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bampton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bampton (St. Patrick))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.