Askham, a parish in the West Ward, Westmoreland, comprising the townships of Askham and Helton. It lies pleasantly on the Lowther river, opposite Lowther Castle, 2½ miles SW of Clifton railway station, and 5 S of Penrith, under which it has a post office. Acreage, 4484; population, 518. The manors of Askham and Helton Fleckett belong to the Earl of Lonsdale. Askham Hall, the old manor house, is now the rectory of Lowther. Limestone is quarried. The living is a discharged vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; value, £190. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Askham St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Askham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Askham (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.