Applethwaite, a township and a parish in Westmoreland. The township contains Windermere village and railway station, includes part of Windermere Lake, and extends southward from the mouth of Troutbeck Vale to about a mile from Bowness. Post town, Windermere. Acreage, 9121; population of civil parish, 2252; of ecclesiastical, 1926. An upland tract on the NE side, between Troutbeck and Kentmere, is Applethwaite Common, on which is a reservoir with a capacity of 10,000,000 gallons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; value, £260. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Applethwaite from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Applethwaite)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.