Wotton, a parish in Surrey, which lies 3 miles WSW of Dorking, and 2½ from Gomshall station on the S.E.R. It includes part Of Oakwood chapelry, and is in Dorking district. Post town, Dorking. Acreage, 3796; population of the civil parish, 655; of the ecclesiastical, 421. Tan-hurst and Wotton House are the chief residences. Leith Hill is here, and has been separately noticed. There are brick, tile, and pottery works. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £470 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, and has been restored. J. Evelyn, the author of " Sylva," was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wotton St. John the Evangelist|
|Poor Law union||Dorking|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wotton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wotton (St. John the Evangelist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Wotton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.