Warlingham, a parish, with a village, in Surrey, with a station on the S.E.R., 18 miles from London, and 4¾ SSE of Croydon. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Whyteleafe. Acreage, 1703; population of the civil parish, 1488; of the ecclesiastical, 1436. The living is a vicarage, united with Chelsham, in the diocese of Rochester; net value, £310 with residence. The church is Early English. There are a Wesleyan chapel and almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Warlingham All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Godstone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Warlingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Warlingham (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Warlingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.