Smallwood, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Astbury parish, Cheshire, 3½ miles ESE of Sandbach, and 4 WSW of Congleton. There is a post office under Stoke-on-Trent; money order office, Rode Heath; telegraph office, Sandbach. The township includes the hamlet of Brookhouse Green. Acreage, 2186; population, 577. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1846. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester; net value, £219 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Astbury. The church was built in 1845, and is in the Early English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Congleton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the description from Pigot & Co. Directory of Cheshire, 1828-9
We have transcribed the entry for Smallwood from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Smallwood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.