Siddington, a township-chapelry in Prestbury parish, Cheshire, 3½ miles SE of Chelford station on the L. & N.W.R.; and 5 SW of Macclesfield. It has a post office under Crewe, money order and telegraph office, Chelford. Acreage, 2159;. population, 406. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. Thornycroft Hall, the seat of the Thornycroft family, is a fine mansion standing in a park. Rede's Mere is a lake with a floating island. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to Capesthorne, in the diocese of Chester. The church was restored in 1855, and again in 1894. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Macclesfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Siddington from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.