Shalford, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands on the Tillingbourne, a tributary of the river Wey, with a station on the S.E.R., 41 miles from London, and 1 mile S of Guildford. It is a neat place, and has a brewery, a tannery, two flour-mills, a public hall, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Guildford. Acreage of parish, 2605; population, 1896. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manors of Shalford Brad-ston and Shalford Clifford belong to the Earl of Onslow, and other manors are Shalford Rectory, Shalford Heath, Braboeuf, and Tangley. Shalford House and much of the property belong to the Godwin-Austen family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £170 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1846, and is a stone building in the Early English style. There is a small Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shalford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hambledon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shalford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shalford (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Shalford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.