Ripley, an ecclesiastical parish in Surrey, with a station, called Clandon and Ripley, on the L. & S.W.R., 21 miles from London, near the river Wey, 5 miles SE by E of Woking, and 6 NE of Guildford. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Woking, and is a great centre for cyclists. Population, 1142. There is a parish council for Ripley and Send, the former having five members and the latter four. A fair is held on 22 July. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £160 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Onslow. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1846, but retains the chancel of a Norman chapel which is supposed to have belonged to Newark Priory. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Guildford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ripley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Ripley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.