Campton, a village and a parish in Beds. The village stands on the river Ivel, 1½ mile W of Shefford station on the M.R., and 6 SW of Biggleswade, and has a post office under Shefford (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Shefford. The parish includes also the township of Shefford. Acreage, 1607; population of civil parish, 448; of the ecclesiastical, 1438. The living is a rectory, united with the perpetual curacy of Shefford, in the diocese of Ely; joint net yearly value, £374 with residence. Both churches are good, and the mother one has a brass of 1489. Campton church was restored in 1894. R. Blomfield the poet was buried here in 1823. The manor house, an ancient country seat, and Highlands, a handsome building erected in 1876, and Campton Grange, are chief residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Campton All Saints|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register, including Shefford, dates from the year 1568.
The Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service (BLARS) hold the registers for Campton: Baptisms 1568-1950, Marriages 1568-1983, Burials 1568-1969, Banns 1754-1978. Transcripts in either book or microfiche form for registers prior to 1813 can be purchased from the BLARS (see website for details).
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles and a Perpendicular tower at the west end of the south aisle, containing a clock and 4 bells: the chancel is Decorated: in the nave is a brass to Richard Carlyll esq. and Joan, his wife, both of whom died February 14th, 1489: the church contains several monuments and the mausoleum of the Osborn family; Robert Bloomfield, the poet, who died at Shefford, August 19th, 1823, was buried here: the church was restored in 1898: there are 250 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Campton was in Biggleswade Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Campton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Campton (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Campton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
Campton was in Biggleswade Poor Law Union. For further detailed history of the Biggleswade Union see Peter Higginbotham's excellent resource: Biggleswade Poor Law Union and Workhouse.
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.