Pyrford or Pirford, Surrey
Pyrford or Pirford, a parish in Surrey, on the river Wey, 2½ miles E by S of Woking station on the L. & S.W.R., and 6¼ NNE of Guildford. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Woking. Acreage, 1881; population, 431. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor was given by William the Conqueror to the church of Westminster, went at the Reformation to the Crown, was given by Elizabeth to Sir John Wolley, and belongs now to Earl Onslow. A mansion was built here by Sir John Wolley, was long the residence of Dr Donne, and has been taken down. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Wisley, in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £270 with residence. The church includes some Norman and Decorated portions, and has a low wooden spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pyrford St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Chertsey|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pyrford or Pirford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pyrford (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.