Pepperharrow, a parish in Surrey, on the river Wey, 3 miles W of Godalming station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town and money order office, Godalming; telegraph office, Lower Easling, Acreage, 1320; population, 159. Pepperharrow House belongs to Viscount Middleton, and stands in grounds containing some very grand cedars of Lebanon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £120 with residence. Patron, Viscount Middleton. The church is partly Norman, was restored under the direction of Pugin, and contains several brasses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Peper-Harow St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Hambledon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pepperharrow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Peper-Harow (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.