Oxted, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands 2 miles E of Godstone, with a station on the Croydon and Oxted Joint railway, 20 miles from London. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage of parish, 3659; population, 1499. There is a parish council of nine members. There are a number of handsome residences in the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester; net value, £350 with residence. The church is Decorated English, has been restored, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower, and contains two ancient brasses. There are a Baptist chapel and an institute with good library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Oxted St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Godstone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oxted from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Oxted (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Oxted are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.