UK Genealogy Archives logo

Newington, Surrey

Historical Description

Newington, a quondam village and a parish in Surrey. The quondam village stood 1½ mile S of St Paul's, London; was anciently known as Neweton and Newnton; took afterwards the name of Newington Butts, from butts for archery practice in an open field adjacent to it; and became completely absorbed by the extension of the metropolis. The parish includes also the quondam hamlet of Walworth; is now, with the exception of some ornamental open spaces, all a part of the metropolis; has very numerous streets, some of them spacious, many well editiced, and most running in straight lines, chiefly at right angles with one another, or with such angular connections as comport well witli convenience; includes the great central thoroughfare around the Elephant and Castle Inn, at the convergence of the streets from the six principal metropolitan bridges over the Thames, and at the divergence thence of the three great lines of thoroughfare to the SE, the S, and the SW; extends along both sides of the southward main street line to the boundary with Camberwell; forms part of Lambeth borough; has ready access to all the stations of the south-eastward, the southward, and the south-westward railways going from the metropolis; and contains numerous post, money order, and telegraph offices under London S. Acreage, 631; population, 115,804. The Fishmongers' Almshouses, or St Peter's Hospital, founded in 1721 for forty-two inmates, formerly stood here, and a stone in the building recorded that part of Cnut's or Canute's trench came hither from the spot where the Surrey docks were cut, and was called the Tygris. An elegant vestry hall was built in 1865-66, at a cost of about £10,000, and stands at the corner of Walworth road. For parliamentary purposes, Newington is divided into the borough of Walworth (population, 59,181) and West Newington (population, 56,623). See also LONDON.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySurrey 
Ecclesiastical parishNewington St. Mary, or Newington-Butts 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Newington from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Online maps of Newington are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyGreater London
Postal districtSE17
Post TownLondon