Newdigate, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands 2 miles from Holmwood station on the L.B. & S.C.R., 2¼ miles N of the boundary with Sussex, and 5¼ SSE of Dorking, and has a post and money order office under Dorking; telegraph office, Capel. The parish contains also the hamlet of Parkgate. Acreage, 4551; population, 681. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belonged to the Albinis, passed through the Fitzalans and others to the Newdegates, and now belongs to the Duke of Norfolk. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £340 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is chiefly Early English, in good condition, and has a wooden tower and shingled spire. The chancel is 11th century work.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Newdigate St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Dorking|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newdigate from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Newdigate (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Newdigate are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.