Mickleham, Surrey
Historical Description
Mickleham, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands on the river Mole, 1 mile from Box Hill station OR the L.B. & S.C.R., 2 miles S by E of Leatherhead; was known at Domesday as Miclebam; is a pleasant place, with charming environs, under Box Hill; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Dorking. The parish contains also the hamlet of West Humble, and includes part of the chapelry of Ranmore. Acreage, 2846; population of the civil parish, 815; of the ecclesiastical, 783. The parish council, under the Local Government Act, 1894, consists of seven members. The manor belonged at Domesday to Bishop Odo. Norbury Park was held in the time of Edward II. by the family of Husse, under the Earls of Gloucester; passed to the Stedolphs, one of whom received Evelyn here "among his goodly walks and hills shaded with yew and box;" went afterwards to Mr Anthony Chapman; was sold by him in 1774 to Mr Lock, the friend of Madame D'Arblay; and belongs now to the Salomons family. The mansion stands on the summit of a lofty eminence, commanding rich views of hill and dale; includes portions bnilt by Mr Lock, and adorned by the painters Barrett, Cipriani, Gilpin, and Pastorini; and was mainly rebuilt in 1849. There are several handsome residences in the neighbourhood. Box Hill rises to an altitude of 445 feet above the Mole's level; is steep and verdurous on the N side, and covered with box-trees on the W.; commands a splendid view to the Sussex Downs and to the N of London; and is much frequented in summer by pic-nic parties. Several curious hollows, called Swallows,and evidently communicating with the Mole, are in the neighbourhood of the hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £120 with residence. The church is chiefly Transition Norman. It has a low massive square tower with spire, and a remarkable chancel-arch; includes a cross aisle and a " Norbury " or N chancel; contains a richly-carved oak pulpit, an altar-tomb of the time of Henry VIII., and some brasses. In 1872 the chancel was thoroughly restored by W. W. Mackworth-Praed, lord of the manor and patron of the living, an organ chamber being added. The tower and nave were restored in 1892, the N aisle widened, and some fine stained glass windows inserted. The church, as now restored, is very much admired. The almshouses were rebuilt in 1865, consist of a centre two storeys high and two wings, and contain accommodation for eight aged inmates.
Administration
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
| Ancient County | Surrey | |
| Ecclesiastical parish | Mickleham St. Michael | |
| Hundred | Copthorne and Effingham | |
| Poor Law union | Dorking |
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Church Records
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mickleham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mickleham, or Littleborough (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Maps
Online maps of Mickleham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- OpenStreetMap.
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
Visitations Heraldic
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.
