Malden, or Old Malden, Surrey
Malden, or Old Malden, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands on Hogs Mill river, near Worcester Park station on the L. & S.W.R., 10 miles from London, and 3 SE of Kingston-on-Thames, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office called Worcester Park (R.S.O.) Acreage of the civil parish, 842; population, 528; of the ecclesiastical, 960. A college, afterwards removed to Oxford as Merton College, was founded here in 1264 by Walter de Merton, Bishop of Rochester. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Chessington, in the diocese of Rochester; joint value, £160 with residence. Patron, Merton College, Oxford. The church was partly rebuilt in 1610, retains portions of earlier dates, comprises nave and chancel, with W tower, and a N aisle added in 1866.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Malden St. John|
|Poor Law union||Kingston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Malden, or Old Malden from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Malden (St. John))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.