Long Ditton, Surrey
Ditton, Long, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village is about a mile from Surbiton station on the L. & S.W.R., And adjoins Thames Ditton on the river Thames. The parish includes the hamlet of Tolworth, and the Lambeth Waterworks are partly in the parish. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Kingston-on-Thames. Acreage, 2102; population of the civil parish, 2953; of the ecclesiastical, 1974. The Church of St Mary, erected in 1880, is in the Gothic style. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester; value, £280. There are a parish room, Methodist chapel, mission hall, and workmen's club.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Long Ditton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Kingston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Long Ditton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ditton, Long (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Long Ditton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.