UK Genealogy Archives logo

Shocklach, Cheshire

Historical Description

Shocklach, two townships and a parish in Cheshire. The townships are Shocklach Church and Shocklach Oviatt, and lie on the river Dee, 4¼ miles NW of Malpas. Post town, Malpas. Acreage, 1278 and 1048; population of each, 158. The parish contains also the township of Caldecott, and comprises 2991 acres; population, 366. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £87 with residence. The church is a small ancient edifice. There is a New Connexion Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCheshire 
Ecclesiastical parishShocklach St. Edith 
HundredBroxton 
Poor Law unionWrexham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Shocklach from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Shocklach are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyCheshire West and Chester
RegionNorth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtSY14
Post TownMalpas