Horley, a parish in Surrey. The parish lies in the Weald, on the river Mole, 4½ miles S by E of Eeigate, and has a station on the L.C. & S.C.R., 26 miles from London. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 7320; population of the civil parish, 3300; of the ecclesiastical, 2891. The limits include Kennersley Manor, Horley Lodge, Mason's Bridge, and Horse Hill, the last a conspicuous object. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester; value, £290 with residence. Patrons, Christ's Hospital, London. The church is Early English, was thoroughly restored in 1882, and has a shingle spire. The vicarage of Sidlow Bridge is a separate benefice. There are a Baptist chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, a mission church at Salfords, and some charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Horley St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Reigate|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Horley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Horley (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Horley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.