Caddington, a parish in Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire, 2 miles WSW of Luton, under which it has a post office; money order office, Slip End; telegraph office, Luton. Area, 4603 acres, of which 2996 are in Herts and 1607 in Bedfordshire; population in Bedfordshire, 1021; in Hertfordshire, 1055. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £200 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The church is ancient, and has two brasses of the 16th century. There are Wesleyan, Baptist, and Union chapels. Markyate Cell and Caddington Hall are country seats in this parish, which includes the hamlets of Chaul End, Aley Green, Slip End, and Woodside.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Caddington All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Luton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1558.
The Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service (BLARS) hold the registers for Caddington: Baptisms 1558-1960, Marriages 1558-1970, Burials 1558-1965, Banns 1754-1974. Transcripts in either book or microfiche form for registers prior to 1813 can be purchased from the BLARS (see website for details).
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a building in the Norman, Early English and Perpendicular or Third Pointed styles, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles and a western embattled tower containing 6 bells: it was partly restored and a vestry added in 1876, at a cost of £2,500, from designs by Mr. Ewan Christian, of London: the chancel is fitted with oak, and there are brasses with effigies to John Hawtt, 1505, and his wife, Elizabeth, with 8 children; and to Edward Dormer, yeoman, 1518, and his wives, Joan and Elizabeth, with 14 children.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Caddington was in Luton Registration District from 1897 to 1964
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Caddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Caddington (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Caddington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
Caddington was in Luton Poor Law Union. For further detailed history of the Luton Union see Peter Higginbotham's excellent resource: Luton Poor Law Union and Workhouse.
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.