Carshalton (pronounced Casehorton), a village and a parish in Surrey, on the L.B. & S.C.R., 12 miles from London. The village stands on the river Wandle, which is here joined by several copious springs rising in the parish, and forming in the centre of the town a fine expanse of water in which there is good trout fishing. It was known at Domesday as Aulton, and was once a market-town. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) Acreage of the civil parish, 2926; population, 6425; of the ecclesiastical, 4374. Carshalton Park was formerly the seat of Sir N. Throckmorton, Dr. Radcliffe, and the Scawens, and is now the seat of the Taylor family. The parish has flour, paper, and snuff mills, also some large ironworks. A spring over-arched with stone, close to the churchyard, is traditionally associated with Queen Anne Boleyn, and bears her name. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester; net value, £270. The church is Early English, restored and enlarged in 1893 at a cost of £10,000, and contains a remarkable brass of Sheriff Gaynesford, who died in 1490, and three elaborate monuments of the 18th century. There are two mission churches, a police station, a large public hall, and a United Methodist chapel. The town is under the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan police, and is governed by a Local Board. It is supplied with water from works at Sutton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Carshalton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Epsom|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1538.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints, rebuilt in 1893 at a cost of £11,000, is of stone and flint in the Perpendicular style, and has a tower containing a clock and 8 bells: in the church are some interesting monuments, including one to the Scawens, and others to George Taylor and John Taylor and his wife and two brasses to Nicholas Ganeysford and family: there are 800 sittings.
Church of the Good Shepherd, Carshalton-on-the-Hill
The Mission Church of the Good Shepherd, Carshalton-on-the-Hill, was erected in 1900.
St. Andrew's Chapel of Ease, Wrythe Lane
St. Andrew's Chapel of Ease, in Wrythe lane, was built in 1887, and has sittings for 250 persons.
United Methodist Chapel
Emanuel (Reformed Episcopal) Church, Park lane, was erected in 1904.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carshalton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Carshalton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Carshalton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.