Burstow, a parish in Surrey, 2½ miles SE of Horley station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 7½ SE by S of Reigate. Horley is the post town, and the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 4760; population of the civil parish, 1225; of the ecclesiastical, 523. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester; net value, £327. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Early English and was restored in 1884. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Burstow St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Reigate|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1547.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Church of England
St. Bartholomew (parish church)
The church of St. Bartholomew is of stone in the Early English style, and has a tower with spire, both constructed entirely of wood, containing 6 bells: it was restored in 1884 at a cost of £2,400, and affords 150 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burstow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Burstow (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Burstow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.