Wymeswold or Wimeswold, Leicestershire
Wymeswold or Wimeswold, a parish, with a well built village, in Leicestershire, 4¼ miles NE by E of Loughborough station on the M.R. and L. & N.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Loughborough; telegraph office, Rempstone. Acreage, 3374; population, 863. The manor belongs to the Paget family. The making of hose and lace is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £147 with residence. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is a fine building of stone in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, porches, and an embattled western tower. There are Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wimeswould St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Loughborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Wymeswold:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wymeswold or Wimeswold from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wimeswould (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: