Worthington, a parish, consisting of the four townships of Worthington, Newbold, Griffydam, and Gelsmore, in Leicestershire, 4 miles NE from Ashby-de-la-Zouch. It has a station on the Ashby and Melbourne branch of the M.R., and a post office under Ashby-de-la-Zouch; money order and telegraph office, Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Acreage, 1732; population, 928. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The manor belongs to Earl Ferrers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £107 with residence, in the gift of Lord Scarsdale. The church is a plain edifice of stone dating from about the end of the 12th century. There are two Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Ashby-de-la-Zouch|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Worthington:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Worthington from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Worthington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: