Woodhouse, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Barrow-upon-Soar parish, Leicestershire. The township lies 3½ miles S of Loughborough, where there are stations on the M.R. and L. & N.W.R. Post town, Loughborough; money order and telegraph office, Woodhouse Eaves. Acreage of township, 4542; population, 1370; of the ecclesiastical district, 284. The manor belongs to the Perry Herrick family. Woodhouse Hall is a spacious stuccoed mansion standing on an eminence, and commanding beautiful views of Charmwood Forest. A convalescent home for forty-five patients was erected near Woodhonse in 1893-94. A portion of this township, including Beanmanor, which is noticed separately, was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1868. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £110. The church, built in 1338 and restored in 1878, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style. There are some valuable charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Barrow upon Soar|
|Poor Law union||Barrow-upon-Soar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Woodhouse:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woodhouse from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Woodhouse are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: