Willoughby Waterless, Leicestershire
Willoughby Waterless, a parish, with a village, in Leicestershire, 2 miles S from Countesthorpe station on the Leicester and Rugby branch of the M.R., and 6 NNE of Lutterworth. Post town, Lutterworth; money order office, Gilmorton; telegraph office, Broughton Astley railway station. Acreage, 1166; population of the civil parish, 279; of the ecclesiastical, with Peatling Magna, 439. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The living is a rectory, united with Peatling Magna, in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £302 with residence. The church is a building of stone chiefly in the Norman and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, and an ivy-clad embattled western tower. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Willoughby-Waterless St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Lutterworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Willoughby Waterless:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Willoughby Waterless from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Willoughby-Waterless (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: