UK Genealogy Archives logo

Welham, Leicestershire

Historical Description

Welham, a parish in Leicestershire, on the north bank of the Welland, which separates it from Northamptonshire, 2 miles NW from Ashley and Weston station on the L. &N.W.R., and 4½ NE from Market Harborough. Post town, Market Harborough; money order office, Hallaton; telegraph office, East Langton. Acreage, 1143; population, 60. The manor belongs to the Tailby family, who are chief landowners. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £188 with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The church, a building of stone in the Decorated style, consists of chancel, nave, N transeptal chapel, and a western tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLeicestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishWelham St. Andrew 
HundredGartree 
Poor Law unionMahket-Harborough 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Welham from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Welham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online:

DistrictHarborough
CountyLeicestershire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtLE16
Post TownMarket Harborough