Welby, a township and a chapelry in Melton Mowbray parish, Leicestershire, 2 miles NW by W of Melton Mowbray railway station. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Melton Mowbray. Acreage, 749; population, 51. The manor belongs to the Welby-Gregory baronet family. The living is annexed to Melton Mowbray. The church is a small plain building of stone in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Melton Mowbray|
|Poor Law union||Melton-Mowbray|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Welby from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: