Tilton or Tilton on the Hill, Leicestershire
Tilton or Tilton-on-the Hill, a parish in Leicestershire, 2½ miles NE of Billesdon, and 1 mile E from Tilton Junction station on the Newark and Market Harborough branch of the G.N. and L. & N.W. Joint railway, and the Peterborough and Leicester branch of the G.N.R. It has a post office under Leicester; money order and telegraph office, Billesdon. Acreage, 3966; population, 383. The ecclesiastical parish is made up of the townships of Tilton, Halstead, Marefield, and Whatborough. Ironstone is found, and there are some petrifying springs. Some remains of Roman entrenchments are at Howbank Hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £243 with residence. The church, which consists of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower with lofty spire, is an ancient edifice of stone in the Norman and Perpendicular styles. It contains some ancient tombs and monuments. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Halstead.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tilton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Billesdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Tilton on the Hill:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tilton or Tilton on the Hill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tilton (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: